Savoring the goodness*

Ben eating ice cream at our friend's 40th birthday party over the weekend. And yes the house has probably been in Architectural digest

This is one of those times in my life when I’m trying to savor as much as I possibly can. You know when you’re actually afraid to go to parties because people will say something innocuous like, “How are you?” and you’ll have to fake a smile through your gritted teeth and say, Good, good… when you actually want to say, “Things are going to hell in a handbasket. How about you?”

After an intense year of things falling apart in a variety of ways, things are miraculously coming together.

I feel happy.
I feel hopeful.
I’m excited about my life.
Healing is happening.
I’m being brave.
I’m learning some really good lessons.
Some big dreams are coming true.

During these times of pause, between the big and small stresses and catastrophes, I am noticing how important it is to savor. Not to wait for the other shoe to drop, but to appreciate all that it is to be in a place of joy.

1. ali

Love you Andrea.

2. GailNHB

Yes, dear one, you are wise to savor the good things. The parties. The ice cream. Amazing homes owned by generous friends. Healing. Happiness. Joy. Inflated baby feet. Macro lenses. Weeds pulled. Plants planted. New dresses. Renewed connections and commitments. Friendship. Life sounds soooooo good for you right now. You deserve every bit of it. Celebrate.

There are so many reasons to give thanks and to savor goodness.
    There is so much beauty.

3. emilyb

i love this. thanks for the reminder!

4. Catherine Just

Love this post. Love your honesty. Love the ways you turn things around. Noticing. Sharing. Savoring. Taking photos. leaning in to it all. You are Brave. And incredible. You know that yes?

5. Sara

I just want to celebrate with you for a minute.
    With a big open heart, I say Hooray! Hooray for good and happy and joy! Hooray for you!

6. Anna

Ah, yes…in my sangha we have been studying the four noble truths (again) and my latest insight is the blessing that is dukka because it reminds us we CAN feel. And every feeling is worthwhile and fleeting, however painful and enduring it may seem in the moment.

Savoring every moment over here, too.

7. Elizabeth

Isn’t it funny how the autumn season of change brings this to so many people — this ability to access potential and optimism and resiliency. Bank the good times; that sense of possibility and capable-ness. Know that they are always there, even when they are harder to see and feel. Happy for you. Enjoy.

8. Hannah Marcotti

Having recently had a year that challenged me beyond what I thought possible, I can relate to that feeling of stepping out the mud and feeling so freaking good.

So glad that you are on the other side.

9. Susie

Andrea, you make me happy. Your realness is so refreshing. I so appreciate you sharing your heart with all of us. Love, Susie 🙂

10. jennifer

a lesson that we always need reminding of: be here now.

I met with a patient the other day that said something about the next “act” as if we are living in a play. I liked the sentiment that there’s always a next act, but I like the reminder that first we must be in this one.

11. melissa

so happy for your happiness. and for the inspiration that coming-together miracles do happen. breathing, praying, waiting.

12. Lacey

The honesty in this post is so incredibly refreshing. Thank you for sharing!

13. jen gray

love you !

14. Quigley

I know what it is to come through deep darkness. I know I am not alone in this. I know that remembering the coming through bit is so tough… but coming through is always possible. Congratualtions in having faith in yourself … xquigley

15. Robin Dake

That post could have been mine. I too have the feeling at parties (answer honestly or answer the “party way”). And after a long painful journey, it is nice to be able to say GOOD and mean it! Blessings.