So yes. The new iphone ROCKS just like everyone is saying. And the camera on it kind of blows my mind. And the new Instagram app? Totally dreamy. I’ve been staring at my phone way too much lately. I swear I’ll stop once the initial obsession is over.
BUT don’t take that point and shoot off your christmas list yet. I still believe in my mighty little Canon S95 (on the higher end of point and shoots but has incredible quality, goes wide and shoots in HD video as well) The iphone still can’t beat a proper camera. And for a bit more, a DSLR will take you right where you want to go.
Up your Game
If you want to up your game in a big way, I HIGHLY recommend a basic DSLR like the Canon Xsi (this is what I shoot with) and a 50mm portrait lens. This is the combination I shoot with 90% of the time. Put these babies on your list this year and you won’t be sorry! Here’s a list below to make it easy.
Cameras I use and love
- DSLR: Canon Digital Rebel XSi
- Point and shoot: Canon PowerShot S95
- Canon EF 50mm f1.4 (I use this lens 90% of the time. I LOVE it. And yes, it is worth the extra money to get the 1.4)
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 (Great, sharp, versatile lens that lets you go wide)
- Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Lens (So much fun! Allows you shoot closer than you ever thought possible)
Books about photography and creativity
- Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters’ Guide to Shooting from the Heart co-authored by yours truly + the founding Shutter Sisters
- Taking Flight: Inspiration And Techniques To Give Your Creative Spirit Wings by Kelly Rae Roberts
- Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media by Liz Lamoreux
Other accessories + The Superhero Photo course
- Camera bags (for women) that won’t compromise your hottie factor: Epiphanie bags
- Neoprene camera case by Built for Point and Shoots
And of course join me for the January session of Superhero Photo once you get that puppy in your hands!
Catching up a few days late… Thank you for the camera ideas and, more importantly, I hope you and yours are all well and feeling peace. xx
Thanks for the camera ideas. I am wanting to upgrade and I appreciate your picks. What do you think about buying a DSLR (that always makes me think of Prince’s song: Dance, Music, Sex, Romance) that is used or refurbished?
Thanks for this! I’m bookmarking it for later. I’m not yet ready to upgrade to a DSLR as I want to get into the habit of taking lots of photos first, and learning the basics.
I too have the S95 and like it a lot, but am still pretty intimidated by all the manual modes. Hoping to figure that out in 2012 🙂
thanks again for yet another bookmarked post – i’ve added the canon rebel to my wish list (dusty. sad. pi.ti.ful) along with the macro lens and the 50mm one. AND the ginger camera bag, in brown. so that i, too, can be a cool camera-toting woman without having to stuff my ordinary purse with things like scarves and gloves.
i read your words about thankgsiving – and hope that by now things have settled and are bringing everyone a sense of relief and peace and calm. if i could give you a pocket, a real pocket, it would contain those things. xo
I love it when people come together and share opinions, great blog, keep it up.