Find a gratitude buddy! (Or I’ll play matchmaker)

cloud_puddle_1

Gratitude is a bit like finding the blue sky in the puddle.

We know gratitude practices work, right?

They train our minds to focus on what’s working, what’s beautiful + good, what delights us in the smallest of moments. They teach us that no matter what circumstances are unfolding in our lives, there is an opportunity to acknowledge what is nourishing us + what we can appreciate.

Even though I know this, it has taken me years to start (and stick with) a practice of my own. And I finally discovered what the missing ingredient was — a gratitude buddy!

I chose a friend who lives far away that I was eager to stay connected with. Since she is a new friend, it has been a really sweet way to grow our friendship. Choose someone you want to cultivate a deeper connection to (or a more regular connection). Anyone who is willing to play will be a good choice!

Here’s what our lists look like:

Today, I’m grateful for:
1. The magnolia tree outside my window that is blooming pink, even though it is winter.
2. For how I could see Ben with new eyes as he charmed everyone at the dentist office.
3. Fitting into my jeans.

Or…

Today, I’m grateful for:
1. A good night’s sleep.
2. Those little blue pills that seem to be working.
3. The guy I met who was walking his cat on a leash.

No preamble. No explanations. Just a simple list exchanged.

ben_nico_redwoods_hug

Sometimes I just send a picture.

P.S. I should also add that if someone forgets a day (or two or three) there is no need to apologize. The other person simply presses on and sends their list over. This helps me stay in the game, since I am usually the person who forgets!

P.P.S. Also, small detail, but we have been using the same email thread since day one entitled “gratitude.” We always respond to the same thread. This makes for an easy way to review the lists at some point.

Are you game?

If you need a buddy let me know. I’m happy to play matchmaker! (superherosf@gmail.com)

1. Susan S.

Love this! What a great way to connect, and a gentle nudge for the practice of gratitude.

2. Belinda Fireman

Wonderful! I know someone who would be great for this – I love the idea of doing it with someone far away! Thanks, Andrea!

3. Melanie Routhier

One of my goals for 2013 is to start a gratitude journal. I never thought of sharing with a friend! This is such a great idea, thanks Andrea!

4. sarah s. - redlinedesign

Andrea: this is lovely…I have just the person in mind…thank you for the gentle nudge…

5. Nancy Guillery

I kept a gratitude journal for the longest time growing up (I was inspired by Oprah). It was the best and something that helped me see the brighter side of things during those harder teen years. Now as a grown up this is something I might include in my 30 day resolutions (i’m revisiting the New Year resolution and putting a 2.0 touch to it). Happy New Year everyone!!

6. Nolwenn

Having a Gratitude buddy is SUCH a good idea ! thanks for sharing.

7. Nicole H

I love this!

8. Ariane

What a nice idea. 🙂 I’ve been writing gratitude lists in my journal, but I’ll have to see if I can think of a good partner…

Happy New Year Andrea!

9. Keri

I need a buddy.

10. Dana

Keri…I’m on the hunt for a gratitude buddy as well…wanna team up??

11. Brian

I love this idea!

12. denise

Andrea…this is such a great idea. I really like the idea of starting fresh, too, with someone I know nothing about. Will you please find me a match?

13. Melody

I would love to pair up with a gratitude buddy. Anyone need a buddy?

14. Denice {inkstitch}

A perfect idea, and exactly what I need this year.
    Blessings ~

15. Heidi

From October 2011 to October 2012, once a day for 365 days, I posted (on facebook) a “Day___, I’m grateful ___.” During that time, my mom got very sick and in July she passed away. I’m sure I still don’t know the value of finding some small or large reason to be grateful each day and then sharing it with friends, some of whom were expecting and beginning to look forward to what I would share. I do know that there was a magic in it, especially day 365. That day my heart opened up to the whole year and in a way, it was as if a light were shining on all the memories that went through my head in search of what to add to a necessarily long list.

I love the idea of having a gratitude buddy and a lengthening list of appreciation for the sweet details that are woven all through our lives. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Time to seek out a gratitude buddy.

16. Jen

Thank you, Andrea for being you. I have been stretched to my breaking points in 2012 but so happy to look forward to the journey of your classes in 2013. I am so doing this. Much love, Jen

17. Margo

I love this idea! Melody, I’m looking for a buddy! Margo

18. ememby

Love this idea and have already sent a message to a friend I would love to do this with! Thanks for the prompt!

19. Shannon

I love this idea. I need to be a lot more grateful for the little things that happen to me every day and having a gratitude buddy is just the push that I need to get on this. Thank you. 🙂

20. Jennifer

Love (and I need a buddy)!

21. Kate L.

Love this too. Jennifer, if you’re still looking, I’d love to buddy up with someone I don’t know!

22. Brightbiologist

hmmm…gratitude buddy. I think it’s an awesome idea to start but do you worry at all about being inauthentic? I remember my husband tried to start a gratitude practice with me and I just SOBBED because, YES! there were good things but the bad things seemed so dark and looming. I can definitely find things to be grateful for from day to day and i do some reflection on those things but the buggers are those things that get me WAY DOWN. Those are my places of rumination, in the shadows of the DARK AND LOOMING. How do you effect a shift from that dark ruminating place to hanging out in the light of gratitude? Am I the only one who finds herself here?

23. Connie

I would love a gratitude buddy!! What a wonderful idea. Thank you so much.

24. heymj

I love this idea but could also use a gratitude buddy.

Thanks,

MJ

25. Courtney Breul

I love this idea. Need a buddy……

26. Crystine

Lovely. A real true blue penpal such as I have not had since grade school! And one to share what I am grateful with…Perfect. If you really have a moment I would be thrilled 🙂

27. Rya

I ‘ve had an on-and-off gratitude journal for a few years but never a buddy! I’m game!

28. Ariane

Yay, my cousin, who is currently travelling the world, is going to be my gratitude buddy! It will be really interesting, as I think we’ll have some pretty different lists. 🙂

29. Charmaine

What great timing as one of my 2013 goals was to go back to my gratitude journal. I love this idea and would appreciate help matching me with a buddy. Thank you!

30. P

I would love a buddy!

31. Kim

What a wonderful idea!! I would love a buddy!! Andrea…can you please match me up as well?
    Thank you!
    ~Kim

32. Shelley

Brilliant.

33. P

!

34. Karen (foundfeather)

Beautiful ! Hugs for your courage and the gift it is! Great challenges for 2013. You Rock!

35. Ute Ursula

Today I am grateful for giving us the idea and i would like a buddy. Can you help me to find someone? Thank you! Ute

36. Tricia

Andrea, I just received my match (thank you SO much!) and sent out my first gratitude email! I am so excited to begin practicing with this community!!

37. Jeanne M

If its not too late I’d love to join in!

38. Kimberley McGill

I love this idea. I’m also into connecting with new people, so I would love for you to connect me with a gratitude buddy!

39. Susan Harrison

If you happen to have someone who needs a buddy, I’m game!

40. Kristin K

I love this. I am going to see if a friend of mine that lives far away would like to participate. If not I will be back looking for a buddy.

41. Nancy de Heer

Hi Andrea, that’s a great idea and I would love to have a gratitude buddy!

42. rebecca

Ok, I’m in and in need of a match! Do you know anyone by chance Andrea that lives in the NY area?

43. Carol

I would love fo you to match me with a gratitude buddy – such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

44. Nattie

In need of gratitude buddy, and utterly grateful you are offering…..

45. mary eileen

I love this idea and I love the idea of sharing with someone new to me. Can you find me a buddy? Oh Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

46. ashley

What a cool idea!

I used to do something similar to this with a friend… we called it random goodness… very cool.

47. Lohi

Included on my 2013 resolutions list is:
    *Make a new friend
    *Start a gratitude journal
    and this fits in perfectly with that!
    I live in the UK and if you would like to buddy up with me I would love to hear from you 🙂

48. beth

Hi Andrea,

I love, love, love this idea. Lohi, if you’re still looking for a buddy, I’d be happy to exchange emails with you. Having a friend in the UK would be a great way to start off the year.

49. Nina

Andrea
    You are a woman who is full of amazing wondrous ideas.
    My journal has been a nightly list of “good things” for the past year. Sometimes, in the dark heavy days, it’s all I can do to find something that felt “not bad.” More and more it is an exercise in scanning for the good. The neuroscientists say we are velcro for the bad and teflon for the good. I am working at changing that around (especially as someone who can tumble into depression).
    As soon as I saw your post about a gratitude buddy, I sent out an e-mail to my dear ones. An old, but out of touch, friend (who happens to have introduced and married me to my husband), who lives on the other side of the country wrote back “I’m in.”
    Suddenly, we are deeply reconnected from these moments we spend sharing our lists everyday.
    Thank you as always for your wisdom and honesty.
    Nina

50. Vanessa

I’d love you to matchmake me with a gratitude buddy!

51. Hollie N. Chantiles

I want to do this…and I need a buddy 🙂
    Prett please!
    -Hollie

52. Lauren

Thank you for this. After reading this on the 2nd, I emailed two of my dearest friends who live in far away cities and I don’t get to see much. We’ve been doing it ever since, and I adore the little insights into their days, as well as remembering all that I have to be grateful for each day. Thank you.

53. Pamela

I have recently been turned on to the power of gratitude and I LOVE the idea of a gratitude buddy. Grateful if you could play matchmaker…. Is anyone still looking for a buddy?
    Thanks

54. Betsey

Thank you, Andrea, for hooking me up with my Gratitude Buddy, Lisa. I can see that I a wonderful new friendship developing and THAT….makes me grateful!

55. Vanessa

You gave me 2 Gratitude Buddies! Thank you, I enjoy writing to them and hearing from them.

56. Tia Tuenge

Hi Andrea,
    I would LOVE a gratitude buddy? I see this is an old post are you still matchmaking?
    xoxo, Tia

57. beth

Are you still matchmaking Andrea? I had hoped my match would stick, but alas not. So I’m still looking for a buddy.

58. Deanna Flinn

Can I get one? I’m not registered in a course right now, is it something your just doing because your so great?

59. Shelly

I would love to be matched up with a buddy, Andrea.
    What a lovely idea.

60. Linny

Ah! Need a buddy. Am always ever-grateful but, today… ahhh… this site, this post … struck a chord. Been a fan for a long while Andrea, I appreciate (yay!) this chance to amplify joy and also appreciate you. With thanks 🙂

61. Crystine

Yup. Need that gratitude buddy. Seems like I could use some brightening and I could sure send some along!

62. Caroline

Hi Andrea
    Is it too late to request a gratitude buddy? Thank you.

63. Valerie Orner

Have been doing atc’s, alrered art, fat books, and inchies in variuos yahoo groups for 15 years. A gratitude journAl sounds like so much fun. Do we send our items in an email list or email pics of each page of the journal to our partner? Is this a start on Jan 1st kind of bproject or start anytime?

64. 100%実物写真ですし、品質が完璧です!"スーパーコピーブランド財布激安 偽物財布激安コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物,偽物財布コピーエルバーキンコピースーパーコピー財布ブランド財布コ

100%実物写真ですし、品質が完璧です!”スーパーコピーブランド財布激安 偽物財布激安コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物,偽物財布コピーエルバーキンコピースーパーコピー財布ブランド財布コピーブランドコピー激安バレンシアガ スーパーコピー激安ロレックス スーパーコピー時計ブランド財布激安 偽物財布激安コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物,偽物財布コピーブランド激安市場-jck35販売:ブランド財布コピー,激安ブランド,財布コピー,偽ブランド,偽 ブランド財布,偽物ブランド財布,ブランドコピー,ヴィトンコピー,ルイヴィトン財布偽物, シャネル財布コピー,グッチ財布コピー,エルメス財布偽物,D&G 財布コピー,ボッテガ 財布 .2013年新作スーパーコピーロレックス,スーパーコピーロレックス時計通販スーパー コピー品その他の世界一流ロレックススーパーコピー時計品を扱っています。 ホームページをクリックして商品をご覧下さい.ロレックスコピー,業界No.1人気スーパーコピーロレックス腕時計専門販売ロレックスコピー(ROLEXスーパーコピー)のロレックス レプリカ販売専門店です。すべての商品は品質2年無料保証です,ロレックス デイトジャスト 偽物,人気満点ロレックス コピーn級品新作大特集 http://www.newkakaku.net/boq1.htm

65. 財布コピー、バッグコピー、腕時計コピー、ベルトコピー靴コピーネックレスコピー、手帳コピー、小物コピー、SS品、N品、価格激安、品質の保証,2015人気ブランド偽物,歓迎光臨楽天★

財布コピー、バッグコピー、腕時計コピー、ベルトコピー靴コピーネックレスコピー、手帳コピー、小物コピー、SS品、N品、価格激安、品質の保証,2015人気ブランド偽物,歓迎光臨楽天★送料無料(日本全国)典雅気質!シャネルバッグCHH67723(*^^*)11月シャネル手作り新作(*^^*)時流の先端快適美品!シャネルブーツCH783283四季向け「 シャネル靴」最高な選択!ブランドコピー 代引きコピーブランド 代引きスーパーコピー 代引きスーパーコピーブランドバッグルイヴィトン コピーシャネル コピー http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-24-copy-0.html

66. Kimberly

I was wondering if u are still doing the gratitude buddy system cause I’m looking for a buddy.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. DIG Deep | Drawn From the Fire - [...] my gratitude practice, and one amazing way to do that is with a gratitude buddy, as pointed out by…
  2. Grateful for Friday « paper & clouds - [...] is crazy again…. of course… but I’m also celebrating the fact that I have a gratitude buddy. More details…
  3. Friday Finds | With Faith & Grace - [...] yourself a gratitude buddy to share the good things in life — [...]
  4. gratitude buddy | the leap - [...] by my favorite blogger Superhero Journal I started connecting with friends through email to share our grateful list. The threads…
  5. connection + gratitude - [...] The first month of this year has been joyfully unfolding. One of my favourite parts of the past few…
  6. Savannah J. Foley » Blog Archive » Nameless and Characterization, plus some Confessions - [...] Gratitude Buddies! I thought I was a grateful person, but when you have to send 5 things you are…
  7. These days, when I’m feeling low, those gratitude lists are saving my ass. – Superhero Life With Andrea Scher - [...] when I feel the least amount of inspiration to share a gratitude list. Thank goodness for my gratitude buddy and for this…
  8. We amplify our joy when we share it with others. – Superhero Life With Andrea Scher - [...] of sending love + healing prayers out to friends. We can amplify our appreciation by having a gratitude buddy…
  9. Body Image Booster: Get A Gratitude Buddy | Weightless - [...] recently came across this post from Andrea. In it, she shares an excellent suggestion for creating a gratitude practice.…
  10. Connections | Adventures at Hilltop - [...] buddy’. She lives in Canada, not far from where my parents live. It all started when I saw this…
  11. 5280 Mama – Practice - […] H’s birth. It all started with me consciousness pulling in this post over at Superhero Life – Find a…
  12. the story behind the heART: thanks - […] the beginning of 2013, Andrea Scher shared her gratitude buddy practice in a post on her Superhero Life blog…
  13. Gratitude | theelectrumblog - […] last year I followed the excellent suggestion of Andrea Scher and found myself a gratitude buddy (https://www.andreascher.com/2012/12/find-a-gratitude-buddy/).  We have…
  14. DIG Deep - […] my gratitude practice, and one amazing way to do that is with a gratitude buddy, as pointed out by…
  15. Gratitude | Found and Rewound - […] new friend of mine and I have decided to be “gratitude buddies” this year per this blog post by…