Fern in Selby Gardens, Canon Eos
1. That I love being married. That the ritual of a wedding is even more powerful, sacred and deep than I ever imagined. That when people ask the slightly ridiculous question of, “So, do you feel different?” You actually do.
2. That I’m allergic to papayas and if I drink the juice my face gets so red hot and blotchy that my husband will exclaim, “Ew!” and take several steps away from me.
3. That sometimes doing is better than thinking. That being in action is better than plotting, strategizing, planning, worrying and speculating. That one can think oneself into a black hole in about 30 seconds.
4. That it’s never too late to ask for a bright orange basketball for Christmas. (I can’t wait to play HORSE with the drunk guys at the playground)
5. That meditation is difficult, shows no signs of getting easier, and the desire to scream “FUCK!” into the stillness will never go away either.
6. That having faith doesn’t always mean trusting God, or the universe or spirit. It also means trusting yourself, your partner, your friends, your body. That having faith means trusting not only in what you can’t see, but what you can.
What have you learned in 2003?