Everyday joys or remembering to savor*

Silly face Ben

Ben pouring milk in daddy's coffee

Before the microphone scuffle began

a brotherly scuffle

Nico making his getaway

“There are times to dream and there are times to savor.” Or maybe she said “seasons” to dream and seasons to savor? Either way, this is one of my favorite quotes from our Mondo Beyondo interview with Noelle Oxenhandler (who wrote the beautiful book, The Wishing Year). It can be so unconscious, the way we dream, one dream into the next, without coming up for air. The way we imagine something that feels out of reach and then by some miracle, actually find ourselves there. But instead of celebrating for a very long time, we immediately start striving again. You can see where this is going, right? Our ambition can be wonderful and also exhausting! The insatiable way we keep barreling forward, getting each duck in a row, and always looking to the next duck.

I do this too. And when I look at my photographs, I see that in a small way, this is me trying to savor. The little moments, the small everyday joys that pop up inside the mess and rush of life. Me, with my camera, is also me counting my blessings. Remembering that this crazy, delicious, and exhausting life was once a dream that seemed very much out of reach, a true Mondo Beyondo. And now it is here.

This gorgeous shot of Ben is by my husband, Matt Passmore

Me and Nico, who did not understand that steam trains are fun! until we took off

Nico and Ben on the steam train, Tilden park, Berkeley, CA

Today, as I work my ass off! 😉 I will also remember to savor. A lunch date with a friend, the sunshine before the rains begin again, the pink magnolia tree outside my window. These boys. This house. This body. This gorgeous life.

P.S. I am planning to sell two of my cameras. A Canon Xsi and an Xti. If you are ready to upgrade to a DSLR, one could be yours! especially if you live in the Bay Area and we don’t have to ship. andrea@superherodesigns.com

1. Kristin Noelle

Thanks so much for this reminder, Andrea. My own “crazy, delicious, exhausting life” brings me to tears in a grateful (…and exhausted 🙂 way when I stop to truly see it.

2. Paula J.

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. thank you

3. Jennifer Hagedorn Dizon

4. Mariella Newton

Love this! It really touched my heart. Explains why I have a gazillion photos on my iPhone. 😉

5. catherine

Such greatness in this post. (Besides the “scuffle” series made me smile.)

6. Anna

Love love love that pic of Nico making his getaway! And yep, I often think of my photos this way too, and when my kids say “whyyyyyy do you need your camera?” I tell them “because I want to never forget how you look right now”!

P.S Which DSLR are you upgrading to? I’m in the planning stages too…

7. rochelle

oh, andrea. i so needed to see this today. you don’t even know. sit and take the time to savor. i have a habit of always striving for “the next thing” too.

8. Lisa

Really nice post. What type of new camera are you using or going to use?

9. LauraC

Love everything about this.

10. Crystine

Hello there! I am interested…too many choices and not enough time to research means that this mama has not gotten the camera of my dreams! Tell me about what/why you’re selling and what you’re upgrading too. Look forward to hearing back..Not in CA but happy to pay shipping. After all these years of reading your words, I trust ya!

11. Tina

I love that there appears to be two espresso pots on your stove.

12. Jennifer Kley in D.C.

Gosh, Andrea…How fortunate your boys are to have such a wonderful documentary of photos that you’ve made for them. I’ve been reading you since 1997 in your SARK days, if you will and have seen the whole married w/ kids come together. Been there w/ you through seizures, etc. Purchased a beautiful Superhero necklace and t-shirt, too. I love your stuff, girl.

13. nina

I love your boys…but I covet that stove!

14. Jessica

Hi Andrea;

Where did you get Nico’s adorable seal pajamas?

15. Robyn

Hey Andrea!
    I was going to send you an email to see what has been going on with you, as my feed reader stopped picking up your feed Sept 1st, 2011. I thought maybe you had stopped blogging or something, but alas… when thinking about you & your boys today, I came to check and you’ve been here all along! I have you set up back in my feed reader now.

The boys are looking delicious as always! Hope all is well with you guys!