Handling our ups and downs.

Oh oracle baby, what is the meaning of life? shot with iphone 4S

“Disappointment is the feeling of being let down. Disappointment is an emotion that makes people feel uncomfortable.”

“Boy, there’s a lot of feelings that make people uncomfortable,” Ben commented.

We had been reading from a book called Handling Your Ups and Downs (awesome book from the 70’s about feelings) and we had started it mid-way, in the uncomfortable feelings section. But Ben was riveted.

“Guilt is the feeling of having done something wrong. Guilt is an emotion that makes people feel uncomfortable.”

“I love this book!” Ben declared. “Keep going!”

I told him I would read more before bed but he needed to take off his shoes and brush his teeth.

He returned, barefoot, a few moments later. “Mama,” he said, “I have something to tell you. But you can’t get mad at me if I tell you the truth.” I promised him I wouldn’t get mad.

“The reason Nico was wet earlier was because I peed on him.”
“You what?!” I said incredulously.
“You told me you wouldn’t get mad!” he cried.
“You’re right. I’m not mad. But Ben, he was soaking wet from head to toe! What happened?”
“We were in the bathroom and he was sticking his head in the toilet and I pushed him away. Then he hit me and so I peed on him. Please don’t tell daddy.”

I smiled and promised and put him in bed.

Then I told Matt. “You can’t bring this up with Ben, but check this out! I know why Nico was soaking wet earlier. Ben peed on him.”

“He did what?!!” Matt said.

And then we laughed and laughed, harder than I had in a long time.

1. Ariane

Thank you for this, it’s been a rough night and it gave me a good bout of giggles.

2. stefanierenee

this is one of the best stories i’ve heard in a long time. thank you ..i really needed it.
    xoxo

3. Susan

oh, amazing. thank you. I needed this today!

4. Shosh

That will be the best wedding toast EVER in about 25 years : )

5. Brandi

Can’t say I’d be happy, but what a cracker of a story!!! I can imagine my boys doing this too :/

6. Jeanette

Bwahaha that’s the funniest blog post I’ve read in while!! What was his head doing in the loo anyway? 🙂

7. Anna

Oh, I got a GREAT laugh out of this. Thanks so much for sharing!

8. Rachel @ 6512

Oh man, that is too funny. Reminds me of when my daughter was 18 months and after having a great time at the children’s museum, came crying hysterically to me. Later, walking to our car, I said to my 3 1/2 yr old son, “I wonder what made Rose suddenly cry.” “Oh,” he replied, “maybe because I pushed her down.”
    Oh, right.

9. Robyn

Omg, thank you for the good laugh. Our boys have peed on each other before by both going pee at the same time sharing a toilet. Good times, lol.

10. Mary Catherine Hamelin | Birth + Family Arts

Oh my gosh, I love this story because it reminds me of my own two brothers. Always with the peeing! And that feelings book does sound awesome…off to search for it…

11. Melanie Routhier

Ah brothers! Nothing like getting primal with each other. My husband is famous for pooping on his little brothers bed out of spite. Although my husband was old enough to know better (he was 12 at the time!) lol.

12. Vickie

Being a part is always interesting! But the stories you can tell are always great!

13. SueB

My favorite part:

‘” … Please don’t tell daddy.”

I smiled and promised and put him in bed.

Then I told Matt.’

Parents in cahoots. (Literally … the laughter!) I love it!

14. Tina

Agh! The sweetness of his telling nearly made me cry. What bravery and trust. And OMG it is freaking hilarious!

15. Mel

This made me laugh out loud. Poor old Ben, it must be hard at times with a 2 year old brother.

16. oprolevorter

certainly like your website however you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the truth however I?¦ll surely come back again.