Hello smoothie loving friends! I’m back for the last installment of info to get you set up for success on your Sweet & Gentle Smoothie Cleanse! Let’s get right to it!
Sweet & Gentle Support & F.A.Q.’s
While you’re the only one responsible for what goes into your mouth, having a support team in place can mean the difference between completion and caving. Here are 4 suggestions for creating a support system for your upcoming cleanse:
1. Talk about it.
First + foremost talk with the people who you share a roof with. Let them know that you’re doing a 3-day smoothie cleanse and that you would like their support. For some that means don’t eat in front of me, don’t ask me what’s for dinner, don’t order pizza… etc. For others that might mean that everyone in the house is cleansing! Ask each person for the appropriate level of support (don’t be afraid to be specific with them). Consider also letting your co-workers know in prep for the cleanse. That way they won’t bring the donuts by your desk or ask you out to lunch. During the cleanse you’ll begin to notice just how much of your life typically revolves around food, eating it, planning for when you’re going to eat it, thinking about it…
2. Set an intention.
My very first yoga class was over a decade ago and I’ll never forget my first child’s pose, forehead pressed to the mat– my teacher, Rachel asking us to set our intention for the rest of the class. The idea that I’d create a thought and hold it for 90 minutes was mind blowing. That was the beginning of an intention-filled life for me. Perhaps this cleanse will be the beginning of intention-filled eating for you? Maybe that means you’ll breathe and speak words of gratitude each time you feel a hunger grumble in your stomach or you will be a bit more kind, loving and patient with yourself then you normally are.
3. Plan Ahead.
This one is HUGE. Gather all the food you will need for the entire cleanse. That way there’s a much smaller chance of self-sabotage.
4. Simplify or even clear your calendar for the cleanse.
You’ll want to allow time just for yourself. Downtime to sleep, read, write, take walks, do gentle stretching, take a bath, etc… As your body detoxes you may experience emotional and/or physical reactions. Give yourself full permission to practice extreme self-care over these three days. This might mean delegating cooking for the rest of the family to your partner. Or sending your regrets for a previously scheduled social event. Look around your life and home and see where you can simplify leading up to the cleanse. You may also decide to physically clean-house. Clearing the clutter may give you a much needed boost in prep for the cleanse!
Download your 3-day cleanse shopping list here.
Tips for Sweet & Gentle Success:
1. Sleep with a bottle of water next to your bed for morning! Wake + drink! While drinking say something nice to yourself! My favorite nice things to say are “Lacy, You’re wonderful + I love you! Only right + good action is happening in your life! You always have everything you need!” I fill my water drinking time in bed with affirmations. It may feel silly at first but soon you’ll crave it just like your morning smoothie!
2. Consider removing temptations from your kitchen or section-off an area of the fridge and counter just for your cleanse foods!
3. Practice self-care rituals while on the cleanse:
-body brushing or oiling the body
-light walks and stretching
-more positive self talk: “My body is completely healthy. I accept myself.”
4. Know that you can and you will show up for yourself each and everyday. You’ll make your smoothies + delight in taking time for your body, mind and spirit to cleanse.
5. As your cleanse draws to a close take a moment to reflect on what you’ve learned about yourself and what you’d like to take with you from this cleanse.
Here are 10 questions for you to consider and reflect on or journal about post cleanse:
1. How often do you think about food and/ or eat out of boredom?
2. How did your opinion of how much food you need change during the cleanse? Acknowledge how far you’ve come in a short period of time!
3. How are you listening to your body wisdom differently now?
4. What body sensations and emotions came up for you during the cleanse? How did you take care of yourself?
5. What self-care rituals did you practice on the cleanse that you’d like to implement into your day-to-day life?
6. How important was the prep process for you leading up to the cleanse? How can you prep more to support yourself in your day-to-day life?
7. What have you learned about nourishment?
8. In 3 days you’ve consumed only fruits, veggies and perhaps some nuts + seeds! How will you bring in more fruits and veggies into your life post cleanse?
9. How are you feeling? What is your energy level like today? How is your mental clarity? Your dreams?
10. What are some of the most important lessons of the cleanse for you?
As you move from the cleanse back to “normal food life” I suggest that you keep your morning smoothie routine going. Try not to go directly back into meat/ dairy/ sugar/ and processed foods on day 1 post cleanse.
Q + A
Q: I’ve never used a Vitamix before is there anything special I need to know?
A: It’s pretty straight forward. The most important things to know are (these apply to all blenders):
● Never remove the blender from the base while it’s on (you’ll break this teensy tiny part that will require fixing and it takes forever, speaking from experience here).
● Never put a spoon, spatula or anything else down in there while it’s on. DISASTER! Blended wood. Not cool.
● Follow a basic formula when making smoothies: liquid + greens first. Blend til liquid and then add everything else (frozen fruit, dates, super foods, etc).
Q: Peel or no peel on citrus?
A: For lemon you can blend it skins and all! Always peel oranges and grapefruits.
Q: How much smoothie is too much? 12 oz? 16oz? 20 oz?
A: You’ve heard the saying ‘One man’s medicine is another man’s poison.’ It’s true for blending too. For the sake of the cleanse I drink a 12 oz smoothie when it has nut butter and 16 oz when it doesn’t. That works really beautifully for my body. You may choose to drink more. Experiment and see what feels best in your body.
Q: Do I have to buy all organic produce?
A: Organics have been shown to have more vitamins and minerals than conventional produce. Also you don’t want to liquify chemicals and pesticides for your cleanse. Go organic everywhere you can! If you have a hard time finding organic cucumber just peel the skins off before juicing them. That is often the case for me.
***A note of disclaimer: All cleanse information and advice is meant for educational purposes only. Cleanse posts are not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Cleansing may not be appropriate for everyone. If you are currently under a doctors care, have a serious illness are pregnant or nursing it is not advisable to participate in a cleanse. If you take vitamins or medications maintain your normal regime while cleansing.***
You’re welcome to submit questions in the comments here or on my FB page.
It has been so wonderful to share this cleanse with you! Thank you Andrea for having me! I absolutely adore you + the love you create in the world. I hope that today you all feel vibrant, healthy + happy mind, body + spirit!
Celebrating you + the power of green smoothies!