Where You Can Get It: a poem by Maya Stein

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/158817373?secret_token=s-xBu5I” params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

where you can get it

A fire pit in Glenwood. Leftovers in Lincoln. A bike trail. A blueberry.
A tray of watercolors. A full moon. The bear hug from a kindred friend.
An offer of help. The road to Loveland. A cup of ice. A grin from Jerry.
Sawyer’s red hair. Clara’s fire-breathing dragon. The last poem at the end
of the day. Vacancy at the campground. The sighting of herons. The words
“Come in.” An old highway that takes you through a small town. A kitchen chair.
When someone understands you perfectly. A piece of pie cut into thirds.

When it comes, tuck yourself into this brief and tender home. Lean into the air
of it, the permission slip, the romance of a moment’s sweet caress.
Grab more fistfuls of these tiny stars. You need more light, not less.

-Maya Stein

*For a backlog of 10-line Tuesdays, go here.  Or to follow Maya + Amy’s month-long tandem bike ride adventure from Boulder, Colorado to Beloit, Wisconsin you can go here.

1. Bella

This is so beautiful. Andrea.. Your voice. It’s so soothing. I loved hearing you read this.

2. kathleen warner

Walking slower so I have to stop to watch the train go by.
    Listening to the voice of Bob Dylan in the background.
    Looking at a photo of my daughter dancing with her best friend on her wedding day. Feeling my body come alive while running laps on the pool. My dog sitting on my feet under the dining table. Feasting on cottage cheese and grape tomatoes. Cool summer day. Stopping and really listening to the sounds of the city. Arriving home. Coffee with sweet cream.

Wow this post and hearing you read Maya’s poem inspired me to write my very first 10 line poem. Thank you so much for letting us hear your calming voice with the twinkle of your smile. I can just see you. oxo love you

3. Kyrrha

Beautiful, thank you for sharing this poem. I love that you read it. We do all need more light and you are a beacon! Thanks.

4. Maya Stein

A – Sheesh, thank you. You not only did me the honor of sharing my words here with Superhero Life readers, but READING them, which I love because you made the poem come alive so viscerally, and because I also got to hear it and really FEEL it myself. What a treat. I love what you said at the end, and so appreciate the spacious and generous way you took these words in. And how the lessons you took from it you are now spreading like so many dandelion seeds, each drifting and landing, drifting and landing. Thank you.

5. Mairi

wonderful reading, Andrea. I love your voice. The poem is like the early morning sun, by the beach, in the summer. Quiet. Strong. Clear. Alive.

6. Shantini

I love that you’re trying this new thing on the blog 🙂 I LOVE it. You have such a lovely, soothing, calming voice and coupled with Maya’s beautiful poem – bliss. Thank you Andrea.

7. debbie

Your voice! I read it first, listened second. The power of hearing the poem read: the cadence and string of brilliant words! I love your interpretation comments as well. Joy really is a sum of tiny moments! Brilliant! Grateful!

8. Julia

I second what Bella wrote 🙂 Loved hearing your voice.
    Unedited- I liked all of it. It is usually the bits & pieces. Little moments of joy, serenity, color or a deep appreciation of something that crosses my path during the day. Look where you are.
    Another first for me. (Maya)
    Thank you for sharing with us Andrea.
    Appreciate you

9. Fiona

Beautiful, Andrea. Magical moments eh? lots in that poem. Your reading of it was very easy on the ear. Thankyou. More please.

10. oprol evorter

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your web site in web explorer, would test this?K IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a big portion of folks will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.